The Virtual Trainer
Transferring in-person skills to the online environment
It’s one thing to be an effective trainer in a live conference room setting. It’s an entirely different thing to keep learners attentive and engaged when working virtually.
It’s not just learning how the virtual platform works. That’s the easy part. The real issues are (1) getting people to want to focus and participate and (2) communicating well using the technology so that what you say is heard and understood.
In this practical session, we will explore the skills and techniques it takes to facilitate learning effectively in virtual settings, including
- Getting comfortable in the virtual training environment
- Engaging learners you can’t see
- Framing the training with clear expectations and learning objectives so that learners understand why they should participate and how the training applies to the work they do
- Creating the conditions for a fruitful exchange of ideas
- Using video productively
- Delivering visual aids effectively
- Setting up and debriefing online activities
- Facilitating fruitful interactions with attendees
- Incorporating virtual platform tools to advance learning