Instructor Certification for “The Orderly Conversation”
The DIY solution for consultants and enterprise L&D
The Certification Process
Step 1: Read The Orderly Conversation and study the primary concepts introduced in the book.
Digging into the concepts will give you a good sense of whether our methodology is a good fit for you.
Step 2: Send us a video of you in action in the training room.
The quality of the video isn’t important, but the quality of how you conduct yourself in front of a room of adult learners is. Once we receive your video we’ll set up an interview so that we can get to know one another.
Step 3: Attend “Mastering Your Presentations,” a 2-Day Public Workshop in Chicago.
Participating in a workshop serves several purposes. First, it will allow you to experience the program as a learner. You’ll also be able to observe how experienced facilitators present the material, manage the video-review process, and create a safe environment for the participants. You’ll also hone your own presentation skills along the way.
Step 4: Attend a 3-Day Train-the-Trainer certification session led by the authors.
During this intensive (and perhaps one-on-one) training, you will learn the skills, techniques, and methodologies behind Turpin’s success in the training room. Throughout the certification process, you will learn, practice, and refine:
- How to expertly present the theory underlying The Orderly Conversation and its supporting concepts
- How to model Turpin facilitation techniques
- How to manage all aspects of the workshop with our teaching tips
- How to deliver feedback to presenters using Turpin’s SORT Coaching Model (Self-assessment, Observation, Recommendation, Tied back to goal)
- How to facilitate group feedback
- How to listen and respond to your audience in a way that encourages participation and class engagement
- How to handle participants’ questions, concerns, and pushback
- How clients have tailored the workshop objectives to meet the unique needs of their participants
You’ll also learn to manage class logistics such as
- Using an LMS to enhance learning and provide pre-work and post-workshop skill reinforcement
- Type of camera to use and how to use it
- How to adjust the session for big groups or trim the training down to one day
Upon successful completion of the Train-the-Trainer, you will be certified to lead a workshop called The Orderly Conversation: Presentation Skills to Move Business Forward. In addition, you will receive
- Step-by-step facilitation guide
- Trainer deck with embedded instructional videos
- Guide for answering learner FAQs
- Recommendations for follow-up skill reinforcement activities
- Access to digital versions of all facilitator materials
- Access to Turpin coaches for when you need advice
- Sales copy
- Marketing copy and logos to use in internal marketing
Recertification is required every three years.
Step 5: Schedule and conduct your workshops.
As a Certified Orderly Conversation trainer, you are required to purchase a Course Materials Packet for each person attending your training. Each packet includes everything attendees will need for the workshop including
- Participant Guide
- Framing Strategy Worksheet
- A copy of The Orderly Conversation: Business Presentations Redefined
- A copy of The Orderly Conversation: A Field Guide
- Course evaluation
- Certificate of completion