Executive Presence Defined
What is it, and how can I achieve it?
Executive Presence: You know it when you see it, but what EXACTLY is it? Hint: It’s not just a person’s appearance and their ability to command a room. In this session, we’ll define executive presence based on the scientific work of Suzanne Bates, which serves as the foundation for her book, All the Leader You Can Be: The Science of Achieving Extraordinary Executive Presence.
Using her research and the 15 facets that Bates uses to define presence, we’ll discuss how these traits show up (or not) during everyday meetings and informal interactions with peers, direct reports, and clients. We’ll also explore how a strength in one area can cause blind spots and weaknesses elsewhere.
NOTE: This is not about stereotypes. It’s about how you can grow your self-awareness and learn to modify behaviors to improve how you are perceived by others.
- What executive presence is and is not
- Observable behaviors that show up during business meetings that influence a person’s presence in the eyes of others
- How to be intentional about how you show up
- How addressing certain personality attributes can improve outcomes in relationships
- The correlation between a leader’s presence and business outcomes
Copies of The Orderly Conversation: Business Presentations Redefined may be included for each attendee.
“Your keynote made this conference worth it.” Conference Attendee