The Executive Presenter
Strengthening executive presence through better communication
This multi-touch program is delivered in five steps:
- 360 Assessment & Coaching: Leaders participate in the Bates Executive Presence Index (ExPI), a 360 assessment. The assessment provides leaders with an in-depth analysis of their ability to influence business outcomes. During the two-step coaching process, perceptions of important stakeholders – peers, direct reports, and managers – are compared with the leader’s self-perceptions in order to identify strengths, needs, and gaps. Through this process, which is based on the work of Suzanne Bates, author of All the Leader You Can Be: The Science of Achieving Extraordinary Executive Presence, leaders develop a strong conceptual understanding of what Executive Presence is and how it shows up through their communication during meetings and presentations.
- Pre-work: Leaders complete an online self-assessment and attend a live webinar that lays the foundation they will need to be successful in this program.
- Workshop: During the instructor-led class, leaders continue to examine their executive presence and apply the principles of The Orderly Conversation® to their own real-life presentations. Taught by two instructors, this workshop uses video-recorded exercises and private instructor-led video review to help participants gain awareness of how they are perceived by the people they lead. The live face-to-face workshop is followed by an on-demand assignment and a half-day virtual session designed to help presenters manage virtual presentations and meetings.
- Capstone Presentation to Executives: After the workshop, leaders are assigned to a team and asked to solve a real-world challenge your organization is facing. The team is instructed to find a solution, which is then presented to a group of your executives. Afterward, they will receive feedback from the executives and their coach.
- Private Coaching: The final step in the program is a private coaching session that leaders may schedule with their coach when the need arises. This session is conducted virtually.
Leaders in this program sharpen baseline skills such as
- Engaging listeners in a fruitful conversation
- Communicating effectively face-to-face, virtually, and in hybrid situations
- Framing presentations to set context and provide a reason for others to participate
- Managing nervousness and anxiety around delivering bad news
- Being clear and concise
- Using projected, hand-held, or hard copy visuals effectively, whether face-to-face or virtual, seated or standing
- Using virtual tools, including video, for maximum engagement
- Being appropriately persuasive
- Thinking on their feet
- Facilitating fruitful interactions with others
Leaders also work on advanced situations and learn to
- Assess 15 facets of their executive presence and grow self-awareness of it
- Recognize when and how to flex their communication style to improve how others perceive them
- Influence others through storytelling
- Nurture relationships with others through effective and efficient communication
- Present as a member of an executive team
After the workshop, leaders work privately with a coach to help them:
- Hone their skills further
- Apply what they’ve learned to other high-stakes situations
NOTE: Trainers and Coaches assigned to this engagement hold the Bates ExPI™ (Executive Presence Index) Coaching Certification.
Attendees receive a copy of
Communication Training Yields Business Results
We believe that business communication training must focus on business results: making work easier, employees more successful, workplaces more cooperative, and goals more attainable.
Getting Business Done and Growing Leadership Capability: Everything we do is designed to help people get business done and grow their capabilities. While a particular workshop may focus on a specific business goal—closing a deal, making a decision, learning something new, or gaining alignment—every workshop is designed to help the participants be more comfortable, effective, and confident communicators. When employees communicate more effectively, leadership capability increases, and careers advance. This brings positive results to your team and company.
Private Coaching and Video Review: Capturing learners on video as they work on their real-life content, which is followed by private video playback and coaching, is an essential element to this training. It helps workshop participants understand their natural strengths (and weaknesses). As they grow their self-awareness, they can apply what they learn in class to the variety of situations they face outside of it.