Advanced Facilitation Skills
Specialized techniques for leading high-stakes meetings
Throughout the class, participants apply the principles of The Orderly Conversation® to their own real-life high-stakes meetings. The attendees’ audience may vary – from small or large in-person groups to remote or hybrid environments.
Successful participants will learn to
- Set clear expectations and engage attendees in a comfortable, goal-oriented conversation
- Frame the meeting to communicate (1) purpose, (2) direction, and (3) context
- Create the conditions for a fruitful exchange of ideas and facilitate the interaction
- Communicate effectively face-to-face, virtually, and in hybrid situations
- Deliver content using slides, flip charts, or handouts
- Use virtual tools, including video, for maximum engagement
- Listen effectively and reserve judgment
- Think on their feet
- Manage disengaged, difficult, emotional, and hostile attendees
- Connect dots and identify common themes
- Document discussions using flip charts or white boards and/or work with scribes and co-facilitators
- Set next steps and assign responsibilities
- Get the business of the meeting done effectively and efficiently
Attendees receive a copy of The Orderly Conversation: Business Presentations Redefined
Additional Post-Workshop Skill-Reinforcement Options
In addition to the skill-reinforcement resources included in eCoach, consider this option:
Manager Support Program: Managers play a critical role in helping employees apply what they learn in class to the situations they face outside of it. To help managers support the learning, and when appropriate to do so, we provide guidance for setting expectations prior to the workshop and for providing support after.
Communication Training Yields Business Results
We believe that business communication training must focus on business results: making work easier, employees more successful, workplaces more cooperative, and goals more attainable.
Getting Business Done and Growing Leadership Capability: Everything we do is designed to help people get business done and grow their capabilities. While a particular workshop may focus on a specific business goal—closing a deal, making a decision, learning something new, or gaining alignment—every workshop is designed to help the participants be more comfortable, effective, and confident communicators. When employees communicate more effectively, leadership capability increases and careers advance. This brings positive results for your team and company.
Private Video Review: Capturing learners on video as they work on their real-life content, which is followed by private video playback and coaching, is an essential element of this training. It helps workshop participants understand their natural strengths (and weaknesses). As they grow their self-awareness, they can apply what they learn in class to the variety of situations they face outside of it.