Training for SMEs to be expert facilitators of learningThis mastery-level interactive workshop builds and polishes the skills necessary for Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to facilitate adult learning. As they work with real-life training content, participants practice presenting information, being efficient, facilitating group discussion, setting up and debriefing exercises, and providing productive learner feedback.
Taught by two instructors, this class includes video recorded in-class exercises followed by private instructor-led video review. This approach helps each participant understand and work with the strengths they bring to the training process. This workshop will help participants:
- Understand their dual role as experts and as facilitators of learning
- Engage learners in a productive learning conversation
- Frame the training with clear expectations and learning objectives so that learners understand why they should participate and how the training applies to the work they do
- Create the conditions for a fruitful exchange of ideas and facilitate the learning process
- Deliver visual aids effectively (even content prepared by others)
- Be concise
- Listen effectively to connect dots and identify common themes
- Encourage and control discussions
- Work with co-trainers
- Weave personal stories into the training
- Manage difficult people and situations
- Set up and debrief learning activities
The Effective Subject Matter Expert includes pre-work and access to eCoach. Participants receive reusable job aids, reference materials, and their own in-class videos to help reinforce what they learn in class. All attendees receive a copy of The Orderly Conversation: Business Presentations Redefined.
Private Coaching and Video Review
Capturing learners on video as they work on their real-life content, which is followed by private video playback and coaching, is an essential element to this training. It helps workshop participants understand their natural strengths (and weaknesses) and grow their self-awareness so that they can apply what they learn in class to the variety of situations they face outside of it.
Post Workshop Coaching
To help workshop participants succeed, especially when the stakes are high, consider adding post workshop coaching. This hour-long, one-on-one follow-up takes place virtually and may be conducted any time after the workshop. Individuals always work with one of the instructors from their workshop to ensure continuity and mutual trust.
As part of the tailoring process, Turpin works with clients to understand the specific needs of each group of individuals and modifies the workshop accordingly. If training materials don’t exist prior to the workshop, we help participants with the instructional design process.
This is a mastery-level workshop and is designed for Subject Matter Experts who have been tasked with training. Not everyone needs to be at the same level. Often a wide range of skills and experience provides the richest learning environment.
Recommended Experience LevelAdvanced
Duration: 3 days
Maximum Enrollment: 8
Number of Instructors: 2
Degree of Coaching
High. Coaching occurs in the main classroom, and one-on-one coaching follows every in-class exercise.
Participants complete an online needs assessment.
Provided through eCoach.
Optional post-workshop coaching is available.
For More Information