Techniques for improving SME-led trainingThis mastery-level interactive workshop for Talent Development professionals builds the skills necessary for coaching Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to facilitate adult learning.
Throughout this class, as new techniques are introduced, participants will deliver real-life training content and be coached on their performance. In this way, a second layer of coaching takes place as Turpin trainers explain the coaching techniques that they are using. Taught by two instructors, this workshop will help participants coach SMEs to
- Understand their dual role as experts and as facilitators of learning
- Engage learners in a productive learning conversation
- Frame the training with clear expectations and learning objectives so that learners understand why they should participate and how it applies to the work they do
- Create the conditions for a fruitful exchange of ideas and facilitate the learning process
- Play to their own strengths
- Deliver visual aids effectively (even content prepared by others)
- Be clear and concise
- Encourage and control discussions
- Weave personal stories into the training
- Manage difficult people and situations
- Set up and debrief learning activities
- Provide productive learner feedback using the Turpin Communication SORT Coaching Model (Self-assessment, Observation, Recommendation, and Tied back to goal)
Coaching SMEs to Facilitate Learning includes reusable job aids and reference materials for applying what’s learned in class to situations the Talent Development professionals face outside of it.
As part of the tailoring process, Turpin works with clients to understand the specific needs of each group of individuals and modifies the workshop accordingly.
This is a mastery-level workshop and is designed for Talent Development professionals who work with Subject Matter Experts in the training room. Not everyone needs to be at the same level. Often a wide range of skills and experience provides the richest learning experience.
Recommended Experience LevelAdvanced
Duration: 2 days
Maximum Enrollment: 6
Number of Instructors: 2
Degree of Coaching
High. Coaching occurs in the main classroom, and one-on-one coaching follows every in-class exercise.
Participants complete an online needs assessment.
For More Information