The Certification Process:
Step 1: Attend “Mastering Your Presentations,” a 2-Day Public Workshop in Chicago.
Participating in a workshop serves several purposes. First, it will allow you to experience the program as a learner. You’ll also be able to observe how experienced facilitators present the material, manage the video-review process, and create a safe environment for the participants. You’ll also hone your own presentation skills along the way.
Step 2: Attend a 3-Day Train-the-Trainer certification session led by one of the authors.
During this intensive (and perhaps one-on-one) training you will learn the skills, techniques, and methodologies behind Turpin’s success in the training room. Throughout the certification process, you will learn, practice, and refine:
- How to expertly present the theory underlying The Orderly Conversation and its supporting concepts
- How to model Turpin facilitation techniques
- Teaching tips to manage all aspects of the workshop
- How to deliver feedback to presenters using Turpin’s SORT Coaching Model (Self-assessment, Observation, Recommendation, Tied back to goal)
- How to facilitate group feedback
- How to listen and respond to your audience in a way that encourages participation and class engagement
- How to handle participants’ questions, concerns, and pushback
- How clients have tailored the workshop objectives to meet the unique needs of their participants
You’ll also learn to manage class logistics such as
- Using an LMS (your own or ours) to enhance learning and provide pre-work and post-workshop skill reinforcement
- Type of camera to use and how to use it
- How to adjust the session for big groups or trimming the training down to one day
Upon successful completion of the Train-the-Trainer, you will be certified to lead a workshop called The Orderly Conversation: Presentation Skills to Move Business Forward. In addition, you will receive
- Step-by-step facilitation guides (one-day and two-day options)
- Trainer deck with embedded instructional videos
- Guide for answering learner FAQs
- Recommendations for follow-up skill reinforcement activities
- Access to eCoach (our LMS)
- Access to digital versions of all facilitator materials
- Access to Turpin coaches for when you need advice
- Marketing copy and logos to use in internal marketing
Re-certification is required every three years.
Step 3: Schedule and conduct your workshops.
As a Certified Turpin trainer, you are required to purchase a Course Packet for each person attending your training. Each packet includes everything attendees will need for the workshop including
- Participant Guide
- Framing Strategy Worksheet
- A copy of The Orderly Conversation: Business Presentations Redefined
- A copy of The Orderly Conversation: A Field Guide
- Course evaluation
- Certificate of completion
To express interest, please contact Greg Owen-Boger, Turpin’s VP.
- Public Workshop: $1,600
- Train-the-Trainer Certification session: $3,000
- Course Packet for each attendee. Your first order must be a minimum of 40 packets. After that, there is no minimum. Price per packet is $299.00
Q: Do you certify independent consultants?
A: That depends. Let’s talk.
Q: We’re a non-profit; do you have special pricing?
A: Yes. Contact us for more information.
Q: Can I use my certification outside of the company I work for?
Q: Can you certify my whole team?
A: Yes. It might make more sense for us to come to you than for your team to come to Chicago. Let’s talk about the possibilities and come up with a good solution.
Q: What ongoing support do you provide?
A: After being certified, you will be assigned a Turpin mentor whom you may call upon at any time. We also conduct quarterly virtual meetings for all of our certified trainers. This is a forum for obtaining updates, asking questions, sharing best practices, asking for help, and so on.
Q: Are you certifying me or my company?
A: You. If you leave your current company, your certification goes with you.
Q: How long does my certification last?
A: As long as you want it to. Re-certification is required every three years.
Q: Can the workshop be tailored to my organization’s needs?
A: Yes. We provide guidance for this during the certification process. If you need additional help, just let us know.
Q: I already facilitate a presentation skills workshop. What’s the benefit in becoming certified on your content?
A: You’re not alone. A lot of people train these skills. What sets Turpin Communication and The Orderly Conversation apart is our unique methodology and focus on the practicalities of business communication. We will encourage you to leave conventional, rule-based methodologies behind and replace them with techniques more appropriate for the way business is conducted.
NOTE: This certification program is new, and is still in development. Currently we are targeting Q4, 2017 for the launch. If you’re interested in being part of the pilot session, please contact Greg Owen-Boger, Turpin’s VP, for details.
Because this is a new program, the details outlined here are subject to change.